Keeping alumni and friends connected to U-M


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Seeing Kennedy

Yes, I was there for the Kennedy "Peace Corps" speech (JFK at the Union, Jan 2008). I was a freshman living in Huber House in South Quad. It was a big thrill to be allowed out of South Quad so late. We were given special permission to stay out late to see Kennedy.

My two sons graduated from U-M, one in '03 and one in '06. I probably took my sons and anyone else who would listen to view the Kennedy medallion embedded in the steps of the Union just a few too many times to say I was there for the "Peace Corps" speech. Nixon also rolled through campus. I saw him give a whistle stop talk at the Train station. Four years later, President Johnson gave his "Great Society" speech and for the first time presented his concept for the "Great Society" at my commencement at the Stadium.

  • Mickey Fivenson
  • B.S. , M.B.A.

I have a proud distinction relative to the football career of recently retired U-M head coach, Lloyd Carr (Saying Goodbye to Lloyd Carr, Jan 2008).

Ad nauseam, I remind coach Carr that I'm one of a handful of U-M fans who cheered him playing football.

In the fall of 1966, Lloyd and I were fellow students at Northern Michigan University in Marquette, but our lives were in contrast.

I was an awkward, bespectacled, stout freshman; Lloyd was a handsome, strong-armed senior quarterback for the Wildcats; a transfer student-athlete from the University of Missouri.

Lloyd joined the rest of his senior teammates in leading the Wildcat squad to a near perfect season. QB Carr's star qualities followed him throughout his life. He was a hard-nosed, resilient player with a dedicated work ethic and natural leadership skills. He was also courageous.

In a game vs. the Quantico Marines, the Leathernecks featured an all-Mr.-Everything middle linebacker. In the huddle, Lloyd called a quarterback-keeper play that meant he would be the lone ball carrier.

When QB Carr reached the line of scrimmage, behind center, the football ruffian was puffing and snorting opposite him. Suddenly, the star Marine linebacker yelled to his teammates, "Watch out for the quarterback-keeper play!"

To paraphrase, "Often you don't realize your good fortune, until it's no longer there." I get the feeling that is how the U-M family and friends will regard a great man and U-M head football coach, Lloyd Carr.

  • Dale R. Leslie

Watching JFK from a tree

I remember Kennedy's speech very well (JFK at the Union, Jan 2008). I was a freshman living at the West Quad so we just strolled over to hear him. As you state it was very crowded and it was hard to see, so a few of us climbed the large tree to the left of the stairs and sat on the large limb. The tree still stands, at least as of a few years ago when last I was back. I felt like adding a plaque to the tree.

It's one memory I will never forget.

  • Joel Sherman

Great Memories of JFK and U-M

I was a sophomore in 1960, living in the Sigma Chi house directly adjacent to the Union. I recall being out in State Street when Kennedy arrived in an open convertible (JFK at the Union, Jan 2008). I was able to get next to the car, and I remember reaching out to shake his hand. Don't remember if I did, but I was pretty excited.

My years at Michigan were some of the best years of my life. I also married a Michigan girl, who transferred from Albion College, who was also my high school sweetheart. We have recently celebrated our 45th wedding anniversary. She graduated from the School of Education and is now retired. I graduated from the Architecture School and I am still working in my firm. My retirement is not too far away.

I had a very interesting experience when I came to Ann Arbor as a freshman in 1958. The Michigan Daily gave a special edition to all students; after a couple of days passed I was looking at the photo from the previous year's Ohio State/U-M football game. It was a picture of the team on the sidelines and in the background was me in the first or second row watching the game. I had attended the game the previous year as part of a visit to decide if I wanted to attend U-M as a swimmer and to study architecture. Of course I wanted to come to Ann Arbor, and it was the best decision I ever made. Being from Pennsylvania, it was a major haul--about nine hours to get there--but worth it.

Just for some perspective, tuition in 1958 was about $250/semester for an out-of-state student. In 1963 it was $500/semester. I was fortunate to have a partial scholarship to cover my room and board plus books. However, as part of the scholarship, I had to go to the football stadium at 8:00 am every Sunday morning after a game, along with other scholarship students, to clean the trash. We would put the empty beer cans and liquor bottles on the seats to be collected by paid staff, and we'd collect the trash in gunny sacks using gloves they gave us. It usually took about 4-6 hours to clean it up, depending on the number of guys who showed up.

  • Terry Slonaker
  • B.A. 1963

I was there when Kennedy arrived at the U-M union (JFK at the Union, Jan 2008). I don't recall the particular part of his speech that's covered in the article, but as I remember it, he did ask for personal contribution/commitment more or less in keeping with the theme of his "ask not..." inaugural address.

  • Michael Tokar

JFK 1960 Campaign Stop

I was a Freshman, one of several hundred students gathered in the intersection of State and South University Streets. (JFK at the Union, Jan 2008.) We were awaiting the expected arrival of Senator Kennedy around 8:00 pm. The crowd continued to grow larger throughout the evening and was very enthusiastic about seeing and listening to the youthful presidential candidate. Periodically, announcements were made from the Union Steps that Kennedy's arrival was delayed, in each instance providing a revised arrival time. Eventually, women's hours were extended (this was a long time ago) in order to allow all gathered students to witness Senator Kennedy.

Finally, he arrived and greeted the students. He voiced his pleasure that so many students were interested in politics, saying that he, too had been a college student...that he had gone to the Michigan of the East, to Harvard. This clever play on words drew resounding cheers and applause from the students. It was an impressive happening for a first semester Freshman from outstate Michigan.

  • Gerald M Major
  • BBA

memory of JFK

I was there! (JFK at the Union, Jan 2008) I had arrived at U-M in late August to take up my faculy position in the Speech Department, Theatre. I took a break from the Frieze Building Costume shop where I was working 24/7. I really did not have the time, but it was important. I had heard JFK was at the Union, so dashed over. Good legs in those days. What a thrill to stand there and see and hear him.

On a sadder note I was also on State Street, in a restaurant, when the news came of Kennedy being shot. What a tragic end to a brilliant presidency.

  • Zelma ("Zee") Weisfeld
  • MFA

JFK's speech

I was there that night JFK spoke at the Union 47 years ago (JFK at the Union, Jan 2008), a naive, apolitical teenager. Nixon also came through town that fall, and gave a stock speech at the train station. Nixon spoke for nearly an hour, and said what he thought people wanted to hear. I remember none of it other than even in my naive state, I knew he was pandering. In contrast, JFK spoke off the cuff, tailored his speech to the situation, and said more in 3 minutes than Nixon said in the hour. It was the beginning of my lifelong interest in politics.

  • Ralph T. Edwards
  • B.S.

Kennedy's Michigan Union visit

I was a freshman living in Mary Markley and my sister Sara, a high school junior (later a UM graduate), was visiting. There was a huge crowd waiting around the Union steps for John F. Kennedy's visit (JFK at the Union, Jan 2008), so an old friend, Marv Brown, who worked in the Union, got us into the back and up to the second floor, where we sat with our legs dangling out the window. Every hour until JFK finally came, there would be an announcement from the dorms that the 11:00 curfew was extended, so we wouldn't get in trouble for coming in late.

When JFK spoke, we heard him clearly, but all we could see was the back of his head. (Besides students in all the windows, there were students who'd climbed the flagpole for a better look.) After Nov 22, 1963, I often thought of sitting in that window and seeing the back of JFK's head; no SWAT team, no snipers, no guards, no nothing. Definitely a simpler age.

  • Eleanor Segal
  • MD 1966

From JFK to LBJ at U-M

October 14, 1960, was an especially exciting night for a freshman in only her second month of the Michigan college experience. It was memorable not only because it was a chance to see and hear the charismatic Democratic candidate in person (JFK at the Union, Jan 2008), but also because the female students in the audience were participating in a rare event. Coeds at the time had an 11 p.m. weeknight curfew (see The day in loco parentis died, Nov 2007), but that night we had "special dispensation" from Dean of Women Deborah Bacon to stay out to hear JFK when he arrived.

If the picture that accompanied the article in Michigan Today were extended to the right, I would be seen with a friend sitting on the first floor windowsill of the Union--a spot we had occupied since early in the evening. We even tried to do some homework, but it was hard to concentrate on a textbook with all of the anticipation and activity whirling around us.

We were also present when Nixon made a whistle stop at the Ann Arbor depot, and I can find myself in a large photo of that event which subsequently appeared in Life magazine.

Three years later President Kennedy was announced as U-M's commencement speaker for May, 1964. Sadly he was not destined to make that speech. Presidentially speaking, the Class of 1964 heard JFK's Peace Corps challenge on the Union steps as freshmen in 1960 and LBJ's announcement of his administration's Great Society program at their graduation in Michigan Stadium.

  • Mary Ellen (Knake) Vaydik
  • BA

Kennedy and the Peace Corps

You have asked to hear from those who were present on the night (early morning) when JFK came to the steps of the Michigan Union and briefly addressed the large assemblage of students and others there (JFK at the Union, Jan 2008). I was among that crowd and had waited, first on the sidewalk across from the Union, then in the street closer to the steps, and finally on the sidewalk up which Kennedy and his bodyguards went toward the front door of the Union. It was an electrifying time, especially when Kennedy stepped from his limousine and into the crowd. Suddenly our arms were pressed tightly against our sides as we surged toward the Senator. I reached out and actually touched him in the back before I was swept away with others.

The article which prompted this response mentioned that Kennedy said he had "come to Ann Arbor to go to bed." Well, yes, he did say that, but whoever recounted that forgot to add the other words he said in conjunction with those. He said, "...and I wish you could all go with me." I remember that very clearly, and it was those additional words that generated the thunderous roar from the crowd assembled there. What a night to remember!

  • John D. Schultz
  • B.S., M.F., Ph.D.

Carried Tom Harmon Off the Field

In 1938 to 1940 I was an usher at Michigan Stadium with the Boy Scouts. After a game with OHIO I helped another guy carry Tom off the field. It was NOT a full house.

After combat as P-38 Pilot in MTO I came back to finish degrees at U-M, and being a Sigma Chi I was a part of the Sigs who sang "The Sweetheart of Sigma Chi" at the funeral service for Fielding Yost.

Prime Time Years for me!

  • Ralph M. Powers, Jr
  • MA BS

Memories of Everything 1960-1964

I made a scrapbook of my four years in Ann Arbor. I have meal tickets, football programs, newspaper articles, programs from Springs Weekend and Michigras events, photos of floats for homecoming, picture postcards, special event souvenirs and just about everything that happened during those years. I even sent to the JFK library the photo of him at the Union for the peace corps speech (JFK at the Union, Jan 2008). It was taken with my camera. I even have the thank you letter from Bobby Kennedy. So much happened during those four years. I will never forget them.

  • Sherry Levine Grabois
  • BA

Kennedy speech

I saw the story on Kennedy and the Peace Corps speech (JFK at the Union, Jan 2008) and remembered that I fell off my bike trying to get back to my dorm so I wouldn't get "late minutes." I bruised my elbow quite badly and went to UM hospital the next day. The young doctor there said I should avoid crowds for a while and suggested I give him my ticket for that week's football game instead!

  • Miriam Hammerman
  • BA

The night Kennedy came

I was very excited to go to the Michigan Union to wait for Kennedy to visit (JFK at the Union, Jan 2008). I also saw Nixon at the train station when he came too. I brought my brownie Hawkeye camera and went with my boyfriend (later my husband) Jim Swonk and his buddies from South Quad.

Hours passed and I grew tired of waiting in the crowd. I went to the second floor of the union and looked out the window over the entrance waiting for his arrival. When he finally came, I took a picture and without thinking ejected the bulb which dropped on him out the window. I have the picture of the top of his head and feet sticking out somewhere. I was afraid the security would come after me and ran away from the window.

At one point I decided to stay out whether the dorms did or did not extend their hours for the occasion. They finally did.

I lived on the hill in Couzens. Jim was so crowded by the crush of people when they separated the waiting students that he was lifted off his feet between others. After that he would not get in crowds for any reason for a long long time. It was one very exciting time. If the photo of him on the steps were from further away, you could have seen me hanging over the window ledge above, listening avidly.

  • Phyllis (Feldstein) Swonk
  • Cert Ed BS in Design MA

Meeting JFK

I was one of the students standing outside the Union (JFK at the Union, Jan 2008) when the open car with JFK and Jackie stopped--stuck in traffic. I stuck my hand out, shook hands with Sen. Kennedy and wished good luck to him and Mrs Kennedy. He smiled and said "Thank you." I noticed how thin he was--still wearing a blue shirt from the TV appearance--then he got out, made the speech, and we went to our dorms. Great moment.

  • Gerald F Rosenblatt
  • JD

Too Much! The 80s

Re The day in loco parentis died (Nov 2007): I grew up in Indiana and moved to Michigan my senior year in High School. I had no preconceived notion of attending U-M or MSU and visited them both. I chose Michigan Civil Engineering based on that visit. I was placed in Bursley Hall on a co-ed floor in the 80s. My Male RA was openly gay and we had community bathrooms! (I think they were separated into boys and girls...but did that mean anything?) There appeared to be no rules and pretty much anything and everything happened. It was very difficult to study...ever!

I actually think that more camaraderie is built on single sex floors. I was able to move to an all-female floor at Couzens as a Sophomore. Do they still have co-ed floors? I doubt it! We were the last year of the baby boomer generation so all norms were already disregarded! I did make it through...barely!

  • Kim Reno Danowski
  • B.S

In My Day

When I arrived in Ann Arbor in 1949 I was embarking on a great adventure. In loco parentis was simply part of the deal (The day in loco parentis died, Nov 2007). I was a child of my time, as were most of the young women I knew in the huge freshman dorm up on the hill. Most of us followed those rules. There were those who did not—their transgressions were whispered about, but detracted very little from their college life. We were all pretty busy adjusting to the new riches the University offered.

As a junior, now in Martha Cook, I did laugh more at the child-like way we coeds were treated. But then, I found my own way to circumvent. As an editor on The Daily, I was allotted late nights, combining what I loved to do with a legal stretching of those rules. As a Senior Editor my nights stretched even later but, in company with a young man who frequently met me after we put the paper to bed, the five-minute walk to my dorm often took two hours.

Way past my special curfew time I would creep in, sign the book that lay out for those of us who were (legally) out late and hope each time that the house mother was sound asleep. How silly of me. She probably knew every time what time it was, but wanted no scandal to fall on her domain.

Today's coeds may think we of the 50s were terribly put upon, but this was not true. We studied, we worked, we played, we fell in and out of love, made life-long friendships. The University resources were there for us to use them to the fullest. Remarkable women came from those "early" times, women who went into dozens of "male" professions, or who chose to continue a domestic path. I can think of only one reason for wishing I had been there in the 60s and 70s: I'd be younger than I am today.

  • Donna Hendleman Rubens
  • B.A.

In Loco Parentis: Reassuring for Me

When I attended the U of M, in loco parentis was in effect (The day in loco parentis died, Nov 2007), and I felt it was very reassuring to me and my parents, and did not feel any real constraint at all on my freedoms. Of course, I was very busy studying most of the time. At that time (1959-1963), the nursing students were required to live in Couzens Hall the last two years and all three summers of our program, when we did clinical classes every summer except our graduation year. So we put in almost 5 years total to get our B.S in Nursing.

Some of us often worked at the University Hospital as student float nurses to make extra money. We also had almost all of our clinical experience, except for Public Health Nursing (which, if you had a car, you could do nearby, or if you did not have a car, which I did not, then we did it in Detroit, which had good bus service). It was safe and convenient to be across the street in Couzens Hall especially if we worked during the evening or night.

I fondly remember studying in the wood paneled library in Couzens, with the leather chairs there, and also in the Medical school. I loved the Graduate library for "the stacks," and the reading room with the heavy wood tables and lamps and subdued lighting. Oftentimes, I would put my head down and take a little nap and help clear out the clutter in my head before tackling more studies. I was glad to find this place, since the undergraduate library was one big party palace by comparison, and after trying to study there for two weeks I knew that was not going to work out!! So, I moved next door to the grad library and to this day, it remains an integral part of my memories of the U-M.

During the summers it was quite nice and much quieter on campus, so you almost felt like you had it to yourself!! I really felt it was nice to come home to the dorms and feel that someone was looking out for our safety. Even at Markley Hall during my first 2 dorm years.

  • Frances Walts
  • B.S.N.

The Flip Side - the 80s

As a second generation Michigan graduate I grew up hearing about the Michigan of the 50s – housemothers, strict rules about visitation, and silly panty raids (The day in loco parentis died, Nov 2007). My years were a definite contrast. When I arrived on campus in 1983, there was 24/7 visitation, the norm was sexual promiscuity including frequent overnight co-habitation, smoking in the dorm hallways, and rampant alcohol abuse. Given that I had never experienced any of these conditions prior to my arrival, although growing up in Ann Arbor my entire childhood, I know I would have been less inclined to experiment with these experiences if the rules hadn’t been so lax and the norms what they were.

My parents were somewhat aware of these factors as they sent my sister and I to U-M, but they hoped for the best and did not discuss their concerns with us. I am concerned about sending my own children into these conditions because I know the peer pressures that await them. I’m aware of how lucky I was that there was no lasting damage to me, only some regrets. I, however, will not hesitate to discuss the influences that are present in college life with my sons.

  • Donna
  • B.S.

I just sat down to read through Michigan Today, one of my montly rituals. The headline: The day in loco parentis died. A little bit of a history buff, especially if it involves my alma mater, I proceeded. I was sitting at University Hospital in my Dad's hospital room. My Dad, a grad from the Pharmacy program in 1961 was in the hospital for a kidney transplant. My brother, also a nursing graduate in 1991 (I think), was his donor.

We were all being rather reminiscent of our days on campus, what had changed what had stayed the same. So, together we proceeded to read about the repeal of the dorm restrictions. Especially, the inequality in treatment of women and men on campus.

The biggest surprise was that "Three feet on the floor rule." I thought that was something my dad had made up. Growing up, every boyfriend I ever had, I would hear my dad call in, "Three feet on the floor Toni." A little embarrassing to a kid, but one always complied. Otherwise, Dad would be in there, then the real embarrassment would start. What I didn't know was that this wonderful rule was a throwback to his Michigan life.

Once Blue always Blue. It exudes all facets of our life. A tradition, down to something as simple as "Three feet on the floor." Thanks, University of Michigan!

  • Toni Lowery
  • BSN, MS

Re: The day in loco parentis died (Nov, 2007): When I got to Ann Arbor in 1953, the women's dorms were overcrowded, so Chicago House, in the previously all-male West Quad, became a women's dorm. We rotated between dining rooms, so the men could share the unpleasantness of having to come to breakfast fully dressed!

The fire doors which allowed passage between the houses of the quad were locked, but that didn't stop the boys from taking them off their hinges. It was a pretty wild year. Men in our rooms? Immediate discipline or even expulsion, but that hardly stopped the adventuresome.

Now all of the girls get to enjoy what so many in Chicago house got away with!!

  • Shirley Tepper LaMere
  • BA

I received a Regents Alumni Scholarship in 1946 at age 16. This was when many veterans from World War Two were starting college under the GI bill. I had only what money I was able to earn during the summer on a farm to pay for my room and board and books, etc. So I worked in the dining hall. I lived in the same room (504) on the fifth floor of Williams House in the West Quadrangle all four years. Irene Boeltz was the head dietician and Mrs. Tervo was in charge of the dining rooms. Both were really wonderful ladies. Irene loaned me her car so I could pick up my girlfriend at the airport in Ypsilanti when she came down for the prom during my senior year. She even let my date stay with the dieticians in their apartments which were just off the lobby.

My senior year I had so little money I had to work four jobs - dining hall, switchboard operator, chemistry store and weekend night watchman in the West Quad. In those days, we were not allowed to have girls beyond the lobby (that's the way it should be today).

A couple of times I sold a pint of blood for $25 at the University Hospital, and then hitch-hiked home to the U.P. to take my girl to a dance, and then hitch-hiked back. It was worth it. We have now been married 57 years.

  • Henry Stevens
  • B.S.

Women's Hours

I had an office in the Student Activities Building. A first year student—whose name I do not remember—was running for student government on the platform of doing away with freshman women's hours. She was printing some flyers advocating that. It was past midnight. She asked me if she could stay at my place that night because she could not return to the dorm past midnight. I said sure. The next day, she happened to be campaigning at my fraternity house. During the Q & A, one of my roommates asked her if it was true that she had stayed at my house last night. (He must have seen her on the couch when he woke up.) She said yes and explained why. I think she won.

  • Stephen Spitz
  • BA

Coming of Age at UM

As most UM alum would say, their time at the U was a time to come of age in a variety of ways. For me, it was an awakening intellectually and emotionally. The late 60s at the U were truly a time of stimulation, excitation, frustration, and fascination. For one thing, it was the challenge and excitement of realizing that you were no longer the smartest one in the classroom. It wasn’t high school any more. I remember the first day I moved into Adams Hall at West Quad. I met a guy from New York (Harvey will go nameless). He matter-of-factly informed me that he had already read all of his books for his classes—and now was going to re-read them. I didn’t even know what books I needed for my classes. Freshman year was an awakening. You have to work hard to be (stay) a Wolverine.

Of course, the Vietnam War was escalating during my U years. There were protests not just regarding the war, but on a number of other local and national issues (i.e., rent control, student rights, black power, civil rights, etc.). The campus was alive with action, most of which was external to the classroom. What an awakening as students, faculty, the administration, and the community brought forth the realities of discourse, confrontation, sit-ins, protest marches, and consequences. The U was totally alive with ideas and ideals. I was involved. No one could sit on the sidelines.

In the midst of this fully engulfing atmosphere, there certainly were other awakenings. In 1968, at a lawn mixer just before the Fall semester was to start, I asked a cute young coed to dance. She accepted. Later she told me that she thought I was a freshman that she could corrupt. I was actually a 21-year old junior, and so when I asked her if she wanted to grab a beer at the P-Bell, she had to decline because she was only 20. It didn’t matter, we settled for an ice cream at Miller’s on South U—and we’ve been married now for 36 years.

Another awakening was just the mix of music on campus. I saw an ad in the Daily one day in ‘68 announcing that applications were being taken by the Union Activities Center for staff to organize the first Ann Arbor Blues Festival. I knew nothing about the blues, but I thought that this would be an interesting adventure—and it would look good on my resume. So, I first stopped by one of the record shops to "educate" myself about the blues and blues singers. With my one-hour degree in hand, I went for an interview for one of the main festival positions. The interviewer, Cary Gordon, talked to me and asked me if I liked the blues. I said yes of course, though I don’t remember ever listening to a true blues LP. He asked which artists I would like to see at the first Ann Arbor Blues Festival. I searched my memory from my one-hour browse of the record shop and named off a few of the bluesmen. Cary informed me that two of the people I named were dead and, therefore, probably wouldn’t be available for our gig.

Nevertheless, I guess that Cary was impressed enough with my eagerness, if nothing else, to hire me on as the festival’s Technical Director. That translated into the sound system, lights, staging, security and overall logistics. I’m pretty sure that I had as much knowledge of those areas as I did about blues musicians. However, the next 10 months provided me with a wealth of knowledge on not only the technical aspects of putting on a big outdoor music festival, but a deep and true understanding of the blues including a wide range of blues musicians.

I wonder if any of you remember the first Ann Arbor Blues Festival in August of 1969. If you weren’t at something called Woodstock, you probably were in Ann Arbor out on Fuller Road listening to such blues legends as B.B. King, Muddy Waters, Big Mama Thornton, James Cotton, and many others. There was even a relatively new kid out of Chicago, named Luther Allison, who could get everyone up and moving with his mix of blues, soul, and rock. I wonder where Luther is today (heard he went over to France for awhile).

I certainly came of age at the U in the late ‘60s. The people I met, the classes I took, and the campus life I experienced, will never leave my memory. Go Blue!

  • Ron Marabate
  • BA, MA

In by the Skin of My Teeth

When I was applying to colleges as a Junior in high school in Alabama, my guidance counselor told me I had zero or less chance of being accepted at a Big Ten school. Since I never really listened when someone said "NO," I went ahead and applied. To my delight, I got a letter of acceptance saying that a dorm room had been reserved for me, and asking me to forward a deposit (I think $50). I did that, and when the time to leave home rolled around, my parents drove me from Florence, Alabama, to Ann Arbor. I walked into the dorm, Wenley House, West Quad, and found that they had a place for me, but no photo on the bulletin board. Since I had not received a request for a photo, we were sent to the assistant dean, who told me that he had no record of my being accepted. This was the height of the post-war baby boom, and he looked at my transcript and said if I had a room (which I did, with the canceled check to prove it!), he saw no reason why I couldn't stay. I stayed, I graduated, and I loved every minute of it, in spite of the unAlabama-like cold.

  • Timothy Green
  • BA

The Early 60's

Rules, hours and housemothers dominated our living arrangements in the early 60s (The day in loco parentis died, Nov 2007). We made fashion statements with our wool pleated skirts, knee sox and sweaters. No jeans or slacks on campus!

During the time period of 1960-1964 were memories of both Nixon and Kennedy campaigning on campus; we actually had hours lifted to hear JFK speak on the Union steps. Robert Frost read his poetry to a packed, hushed audience at Hill Auditorium. John Howard Griffin, the author of "Black Like Me," mesmerized us. Activists were gathering signatures on the diag and at the fishbowl for voters' rights in the South. There was always an issue that one could affix a name with a $1.00 contribution.

JKF died while I was in an English lecture at Angell Hall; the clarion tower played the Star Spangled Banner as we gathered in clusters all over campus.

LBJ flew in for our graduation on May 22, 1964 keeping a promise Kennedy made to return to U-M. We were searched and scanned as we entered the stadium. My grandmother, who lived to be 96, marked seeing the president at my graduation as a highlight of her life.

Basketball dominated sports with Cazzie Russell, Oliver Darden and Bill Buntin. Tickets were free for the football games. Ohio State was always the last game of the season. We gathered 20 tickets from students going home for Thanksgiving and brought all of our high school crowd to the game for free in 1963!

There was much happening in the world in the early 60's but in some respects we were still innocent and liberal.

I remained in Ann Arbor and pursued a Master's Degree part time while teaching school. The years of 1964-1968 were very different on campus. Rules were gone, dress changed to jeans, torn and otherwise. Protests erupted daily over Vietnam. Students were trying to get into school and stay there to avoid serving in the Army.

I later returned in 1974-1977 to work on an advanced degree.

U-M will always hold a special place in my heart and my life.

  • Judith Caille Stone
  • B.A., M.A.

Dorm Visitors

(Re: The day in loco parentis died, Nov 2007.) Three feet on the floor? How about no female feet on any floor. In Anderson House, E.Q. in the late fifties, NO women were allowed beyond the lobby except, perhaps, on a once-a-year daytime visitor day. Female visitors were allowed into the rooms for a couple of hours, provided that the door was wide open. I remember the Housemother and Resident Assistant constantly pacing the halls during those few hours. It was such a rare and awkward policy, that few men availed themselves of this few hours of "freedom."

  • Tom Hoekstra
  • BS, MS, PhD

Frieze Building Romance

In 1969 I was a junior taking a Speech class in the Frieze building. I really did not like the professor and wanted to drop the class, but something, in addition to it being a requirement, made me stay. About a month into the semester a guy kept following me out of the Frieze Building trying to talk to me until I got home to Betsy Barbour. I thought he was probably some pesky Freshman since the class was loaded with them. Well, it turned out he was also a junior and soon after we went on our first date to see the movie, "Z" at the State. We were married in 1971 and lived in a really awful married housing called University Terrace, near the hospital. Two of our three kids are Wolverines and they all know the story of the mom, dad and the Frieze Bldg. on State and Huron. While I am sure that North Quad will be very nice, I am still sad that the old building is gone. The other place I am nostalgic about is Drake's Tea Room, corner State and North U. Now, my daughter gets her tea at Starbucks. I'm not sure that's progress.

  • Christina Johnson
  • B.A.

Great Experience

I have two moments that will live in my memory.

The first being my attendance of a fine piano recital by Vladimir Horowitz at Hill Auditorium, and then meeting him personally later at one Ann Arbor's night spots. He was very personable and not like anything I had read about him previously.

The second was a trip to Spain with the University of Michigan Concert Choir to act as the Opera Festival Chorus of the Perez Galdos Theatre of the Canary Islands. Hob- knobbing with the likes of opera greats Joan Sutherland, Marisa Galvany, Paul Plishka etc. was thrilling. And to top it off, to be chosen by the director, Tito Capobianco, to sing a tiny part in La Boheme was more than a dream.

  • Rodney M Brown
  • MM

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9