In 1861, the crisis of southern secession turned Michigan’s campus into a cauldron of pro-Union meetings and military drills as students prepared to exchange books for weapons.
U-M’s chief executives haven’t all been fans of our beloved Wolverines, though President C.C. Little (second from right) enjoyed the Big House dedication in 1927.
The carillon bells in Burton Tower have been tolling for 80 years, but they are only the latest in an astonishingly varied series of bells and chimes making music at U-M.
In 1874, fresh-soph warfare finally got so out of hand that Michigan’s faculty suspended nearly 10 percent of male students.
In the 1920s, brothers Nicholas and Leonard Falcone played opposite sides of the field as rival directors of the Michigan and Michigan State marching bands.
In 1955 U-M officials fought Michigan State’s effort to change its name from “College” to “University.” Guess who lost?