A life worth living, part two

As part of LSA’s fall 2010 theme semester, What Makes Life Worth Living, we asked professor Christopher Peterson, one of the nation’s top experts in “positive psychology,” to describe some of what his research has taught us about a life well lived.

Part two: Happiness, creativity and resilience

Related:

What about you? What do you think are the elements of a life well lived? What brings lasting happiness? Share your ideas in the comments section below.

1. joan godfrey - 1947

very simplisitc view of life. I read the transcript, did NOT hear his voice. It reads
    like a freshman work, one who has not had many important life experiences. A person’s passage through their life changes expectations and that of their happiness. Article of no value!

2. Kay Schnabel - 1988

I enjoyed seeing the video. I think it has some good comments that I want to take to heart on how to live a valuable, content life with more relationships and work accomplished. I appreciated the comments on raising children providing happiness, but not necessarily in the moment.

3. Padmaja Chekuri - 1995

Simple and brief realistic observation of life. Living for some one (like family),some goal, or certain belief DOES make a person happy. I may not have that much experience in life. But I experienced this type of happiness several times. Simple and Perfect observation! 🙂

4. Padmaja Chekuri - 1995

5. Lynda Bucciarelli - 1969

Professor Peterson’s remarks about volunteering rang a very poignant note with me. When people ask me, “What do you do?” I reply, “I volunteer.”
    As a child my passion was the orchestra in which I played. My formal college education took me in a very different direction, laboratory medicine. I enjoyed working, once I found my niche, but then I became the PTA mom, soccermom, gymnasticsmom. Now I am the president of the board of directors of a college town symphony orchestra, not the university’s orchestra but the town’s orchestra. It is a very stressful job, where we are always short on funds and other voluteers. Yet, this has truly made me happy because I love the end product. I no longer pick up a violin and play but facilitate others to be able to do just that and make a living at it.