Vietnam in movies and memory

'The Deer Hunter' earned very mixed reviews, but there was no questioning the talent of the cast, led by Robert DeNiro.

‘The Deer Hunter’ earned very mixed reviews, but there was no questioning the talent of the cast, led by Robert DeNiro.

U.S. involvement in what would be known here as The Vietnam War (in Vietnam, “The American War”) began 50 years ago. In 1961, President John Kennedy committed to an American-supported South Vietnamese government under Ngo Dinh Diem. Materiel would be sent along with advisers to help train Army of the Republic of Vietnam (ARVN) soldiers in their fight against communist NVA and Viet Cong (VC) guerrillas. The 12-year war that followed would also be called “the television war,” viewed nightly in American living rooms with news reports detailing brutal skirmishes with VC bands in rice paddies, dense jungles, small hamlets, on Mekong River tributaries. There were daily up-to-date death counts. Understandably, Hollywood filmmakers pretty much waited for the war to wind down before tackling Vietnam.

I went to South Vietnam in October 1962, one year into the war, as an Army Security Agency intercept specialist. My unit, the Third Radio Research Unit (3rd RRU), had been deployed to Saigon in May 1961. As an electronic surveillance team our mission was to intercept VC guerrilla Morse-code and voice transmissions and, using cross-vector direction-finding (DF) strategies, locate VC units and monitor their movements. The intelligence was passed on to American advisers and their ARVN counterparts. When I arrived at the 3rd RRU cantonement area near Tan Son Nhut Airport, it had been named Davis Station in honor of James Davis, a Livingston, Tennessee DF specialist who had been killed on Dec. 22, 1961, by a roadside bomb during a direction-finding mission. Later President Lyndon Johnson proclaimed Davis “the first American soldier killed in the resistance to aggression in Vietnam.” 58,000 more would die before American soldiers withdrew in March 1973.

We 3rd RRU intercept operators and ground-based direction finders rotated on three eight-hour shifts in a windowless “listening post” building, covertly named White Birch. My 3-11 p.m. workday was followed by breakfast at midnight, then an outdoor 16mm movie–the Saigon sky above electric with static. During my year in Saigon, information briefings warned us of possible poison dart and hand grenade attacks. Bombs implanted in bicycle frames frequently exploded near US military locations. Sidewalk cafes disappeared from Saigon streets. Tension in the city grew after a Buddhist bonze (monk) self-immolated by gasoline fire on May 8, 1963, in protest of an increasingly repressive Diem regime.

I escaped harm and returned safely home in October 1963, reuniting with Gail and our six-month-old daughter, Julia. Four months later Wayne Glover, my good buddy and an usher in my wedding, was killed by shrapnel from a bomb placed under our softball bleachers at Davis Station—hard evidence that the VC were broadening their targets.

It would be more than a decade after returning home that I saw an American film I thought had attempted to address the political complexities and personal consequences of the war. When they did start to appear, the Vietnam films came with widely varying narrative forms and thematic intentions. Not surprisingly, given the long and divisive nature of the war, Hollywood films of the 1970s were alternately praised or damned for their dramatic take on Vietnam.

John Wayne's 'The Green Berets' was widely derided by veterans.

John Wayne’s ‘The Green Berets’ was widely derided by veterans.

One notable film had appeared at the height of the war, John Wayne’s “The Green Berets” (1968). Wayne acted in and directed the film. Shot largely at Ft. Benning, Georgia, with U.S. military assistance, this adaptation of Robin Moore’s book about Special Forces’ heroics against the VC was tailored as a cowboys-and-Indians, take-the-fort drama. Wayne had announced that “the Americans will be the cowboys, the VC the Indians.” At film’s end Wayne walks off into the sunset with a Vietnamese orphan. Critics and soldiers (myself included) laughed at the movie’s mythic stance, but government and Pentagon officials liked its optimistic view of U.S. effort in Vietnam.As American involvement neared an end, Hollywood sidestepped its way into indirect treatment of Vietnam with two period films about US mistreatment of native Americans in the 19th-century: “Little Big Man” and “Soldier Blue,” both 1970. The idea was that filmgoers would equate Custer’s Last Stand with Vietnam travesties like My Lai.

As a veteran I was perplexed by another trend: screenwriters of the 1970s using Vietnam veteran characters as violent, anti-social, even psychopathic antagonists who were “ticking time bombs”: “Welcome Home, Soldier Boys” (1972; plundering and rape); “Roller Coaster” and “Black Sunday” (both 1977; terrorism).

'Black Sunday' was just one of the movies to flog the 'troubled vet as ticking time bomb' meme.

‘Black Sunday’ was just one of the movies to flog the ‘troubled vet as ticking time bomb’ meme.

Two ’78 films also explored damage to returned soldiers, one, “Coming Home,” intensely personal in its focus and the other, “The Deer Hunter,” examining Vietnam’s impact on community life.

Hal Ashby’s “Coming Home” told the story of a bitter, guilt-ridden paraplegic veteran and the political and romantic relationship that he develops with the hospital-volunteer wife of a Marine captain (who will also return home from Vietnam scarred by the war). “Coming Home” won high praise for its candid treatment of the sexual possibilities for a disabled, paraplegic soldier. Personally, I found the film a very worthy, early effort to come to grips with some of the painful human consequences, physical and psychological, of Vietnam; it reminded me very much of Fred Zinneman’s “The Men” (1950), a powerful film about a disabled WW-II veteran, also bitter and wheel-chair bound and attempting to adjust to post-war life.

Michael Cimino’s “The Deer Hunter” became the most controversial and perhaps most challenging of the 1970s post-war Hollywood films. Set in a small blue-collar Pennsylvania town, Clairton, the plot takes three steel factory workers and hunting buddies to Vietnam where in a 26-minute sequence they are seen in a search-and-destroy mission which ends with their being taken prisoners and subjected by their VC captors to a terrifying game of Russian roulette. Managing to escape, two of the soldiers return home to Clairton, but the third, Nick, chooses to stay in Saigon after he is lured into a gambling den where men play Russian roulette for big money. Back home, life goes on in Clairton with the usual rituals of everyday life—work, drinking and socializing, deer hunting—playing out under the dark, emotional shadow of Vietnam. The script never touches directly on how the people of Clairton or the two returned soldiers feel about the on-going war. And the filmgoer is left to guess the meaning of the film’s final scene where Nick’s friends, gathered at a bar following his funeral, tentatively sing “God Bless America.” A gesture to convince themselves that Nick’s death in a Saigon game of Russian roulette might have had some larger meaning? Or maybe simply an ironic, cynical lament? We don’t know.

In “The Deer Hunter,” the admixture of naturalism, metaphoric hunting scenes, surreal mountain landscapes—along with the shock device of Russian roulette to symbolize the perceived madness of Vietnam—made the film susceptible to all sorts of critical reaction. Some critics questioned whether Cimino, treating history as recent as Vietnam, could be excused for being so brazenly inventive while ignoring political and moral realities of the war. Peter Arnett, a veteran Vietnam journalist, wrote: “In his artistic selfishness Cimino seems oblivious to the nation’s underlying anxiety about the whole Vietnam experience and its need for explanations.” Arnett and others questioned the film’s vague chronology, which never put the long war into any kind of time perspective. Others, though, defended Cimino’s right to alter and abstract historical events in order to get at deeper artistic truths.

My own reaction to the film was very intense and personal, mainly because it was a first attempt to assay the impact of the war on people who experienced Vietnam and who returned to their families and friends confounded by its meanings. When Lynda (Meryl Streep) first encounters Michael (Robert DeNiro) after his arrival back in Clairton and they struggle to communicate with one another, she picks up a wool sweater she’s knitted for her boyfriend Nick, who remains somewhere in Saigon. She holds it up to DeNiro and says “Too big … well I could fix that though; I mean one thing about wool it’s really a cinch (pause) to fix. Oh, Christ!” She throws her arms around Michael and cries. He replies: “It’s okay, it’s okay, it’s okay.” The complex set of feelings in this scene, expressed so simply and so indirectly, brought tears to my eyes. All of us who came back would struggle to understand a war unlike any other in U.S. history. I accepted Cimino’s treatment of that struggle as a work of art that was imaginative, humanistic and deeply moving.

On the day that “The Deer Hunter” opened, I went to a matinee, and that night I went back with Gail to see it again. Following on the heels of “The Deer Hunter” was Francis Coppola’s “Apocalypse Now” (1979), less symbol-laden than Cimino’s film, perhaps, but structured as an archetypal journey inspired by Joseph Conrad’s classic novel “Heart of Darkness.” Coppola’s protagonist Capt. Benjamin Willard embarks on a riverboat mission from Saigon to Cambodia to kill a once-respected US Army colonel, Kurtz, whose tyrannical command over a colony of defectors has angered his superiors.

Robert Duvall provided one part of the surreal chaos in 'Apocalypse Now'

Robert Duvall provided one part of the surreal chaos in ‘Apocalypse Now’

The images of violence and decadence are unforgettable: symphonic displays of US helicopter power, brutal acts against Vietnamese natives, near-pornographic “morale-building” USO entertainment, alcohol, drugs, ever-present news photographers—altogether a very visceral cinematic and narrative take on the absurdities and moral ambiguities of Vietnam.

Roger Ebert called “Apocalypse Now” the best of the Vietnam films, and in his book on great movies named it one of the greatest of all films. Still the film had its detractors. Frank Rich, writing in The New York Times, found the electrifying footage “breathtaking” but the film as a whole “emotionally obtuse and intellectually empty.”

Less potent than Conrad’s original epiphany in “Heart of Darkness” about the horrors that can be inflicted on others by a civilized world, Coppola’s version (with fiery visuals) nevertheless leaves the viewer with knowledge that comes through a passage into the heart of darkness. While I had had none of the experiences like those that unfold on the screen, I was enthralled by Coppola’s grand operatic display of the war and its lunatic underside that could easily have been scripted by Monty Python.

A still from 'Hearts and Minds,' a documentary so fierce it remains controversial to this day.

A still from ‘Hearts and Minds,’ a documentary so fierce it remains controversial to this day.

The 1970s film that most affected my thinking about Vietnam was the Columbia Pictures documentary “Hearts and Minds” (1974). The film startled me into a new recognition of the parameters of the war and the historical complexities of its politics. Through a dialectical, “journalistic shootout” method of construction, the documentary crosscuts interviews with government officials, military officers, veterans, Vietnamese opponents of the war, as well as Vietnamese families affected by its devastation—a first. Director Peter Davis and Producer Bert Schneider, in a distinctly Eisensteinian strategy, included shock footage for impact: napalmed children, the torture and assassination of VC soldiers, the leveling of Vietnamese villages with fire from Zippo lighters, a dingy sex scene between American soldiers and Vietnamese women. “Hearts and Minds” forced me to confront the war’s pervasive toll at home and in Vietnam.

I came away from the film with a sense of the enormous loss incurred in an ill-fated war that was sustained by a political philosophy that advocated winning at any cost. Its impact on me served as my own Conradian-like epiphany. I applauded when it won the Oscar for Best Feature Documentary of 1974, although emcees Bob Hope and Frank Sinatra would read a disclaimer after Davis’ acceptance speech, saying that the film’s message did not necessarily represent the full views of Academy members about the war.

Some years later when I was showing “Hearts and Minds” in my large Art of the Film class, someone tapped me on the shoulder and whispered in my ear: “Don’t ever stop showing this film.” It turned out he too was a Vietnam veteran. The 1970s Hollywood films about Vietnam came under unusually close scrutiny as would heralded works that followed: “Platoon” (1986), “Full Metal Jacket” (1987), “Hamburger Hill” (1987), “Born on the Fourth of July” (1989), “We Were Soldiers” (2002), and dozens more.”Schindler’s List” (1993) and “Saving Private Ryan” (1998) reminded us that there are still great stories to be told about World War II, and the same will surely be true for Vietnam. Maybe a film about the 10,000+ heroic women who served in the war, and maybe even one about dedicated soldiers who listened to the VC through headsets in a windowless Saigon building—some of whom also lost their lives in that now distant war.

What are your favorite Vietnam-themed movies? Which ones do you think captured the reality best? Which achieved the most artistically? Share your thoughts in the comments section.

1. Larry Miller - Ph.D. Communication,1975

Professor Beaver,
    Thank you for sharing your insights . . . most helpful and instructive. We offer a year long military film series here at the US Army War College at which faculty, mostly military historians rather than film experts/critics, provided commentary and lead discussions. I will see that your comments/observations get to the program’s director. Best wishes and thank you for your service to both the nation and the academic community supported by the University of Michigan.

2. Tim Race - LSA 1980

I was a student in Frank Beaver’s class The Art of the Film in 1976. My experience of the film documentary Hearts and Minds, was my most profound as a student at Michigan. To this day I cannot see a marching band in a football game or parade without thinking of Hearts and Minds. Thank you Frank.

3. Joan Ford

Enjoyed your article , it captures Hollywood’s attempt to help us understand what happened when the reality of Vietnam on TV didn’t fill in the details. Still so much we don’t understand. veteransradio.net on Sat here in Ann Arbor,continally labors to share the facts, the feelings , the Vietnam Veterans . I was impressed by “Born On the Fouth of July” as it conveyed the struggle and the continued effort to fight for honor. Schindler’s List WWll was even better. Now we move into the historical era of Desert Storm , Iraq etc. Thank you for a great historical review of Vietnam, still a most perplexing WAR . Joan D.Ford

4. Jeff Petrash - 12/1969

Professor Beaver’s course gave me an excitement for, and appreciation of, movies that is with me to this day. My son seems to have inherited this from me as well. I am delighted (and astounded)to have him continue, these many years later, to share his insights with us. I look forward to his next essay.

5. Bill Mattes - 1981

On a business trip I watched “The Iron Triangle” and was struck by a film clearly from the Viet Cong’s perspective. It also was unusual in making most of the American characters peripheral, except for one, and in portraying a range of motivations and weaknesses among the Viet Cong characters. I wonder what Mr. Beaver might have to say about that film.

6. Tim Artist - 1979 & 1981

Hi Frank. Another well thought-out and wonderfully written article. Thanks again for all that you’ve done for so many of us.

7. Jim Kamman - 1967

Great article and analyis. Thanks for the insight and for bring this period to current generations.(I served in the Marines from 68 to early 72 and flew out of Danang, A-6s, from July 70 to May 71). One of my favorite movies was Go Tell it To the Spartans, on our early involvement in Viet Nam and starring Burt Lancaster and Craig Wasson. I am not convinced that any of the films have or ever will capture what it was like.

8. Andy Attalai - 1970

Hi Frank. You probably don’t remember me, but we were classmates in 1968-69, taking the few courses in film studies available to us back in the day. We were taught by Prof. Phil Davis, a charismatic and very likable film maker and film historian. Together, you and I and maybe twenty others learned about the fascinating history of film, learned cinematographic, editing and directing principles, and even got to make our own short films. I think you were Prof. Davis’ teaching assistant for some of those courses. We did this during a most tormented time at U of M. The Vietnam War protests raged daily, buildings were occupied, anti-war rallies and marches took place everywhere, even in the Big House. It was total chaos, and damned exciting. Pretty much everyone was virulently against the war, our film classes being no exception. And as I now find out, there you were, a Vietnam vet, with first hand insight. Who knew? You did seem quite a bit more serious than most, but then, you were well on your way to a PhD by then, while the rest of us were typically distracted undergrads. As far as the war was concerned, I was one of the lucky ones. My draft board never reached my lottery number after my student deferment expired, so I was completely off the hook as of 1970. And clearly Prof. Davis’ teaching took, because I spent the next 35 years developing a successful career in all facets of the film business. But the war tore me up, and ironically for someone in the film biz, I was unable to watch a Vietnam War movie until more than a decade had passed. Nor was I able to pass on my distaste for the stupidity and futility of war to my son. He joined the US Army, and spent two tours in Iraq, where he was part of more than 300 specialized missions, many of them classified in nature. He was, however, an avid movie buff, and said that “The Hurt Locker” was very realistic and accurate, as per his own experiences. When he got out of the Army, my son went to work for the Department of Defense in Afghanistan, and unfortunately, was killed by an IED on Sept. 6, 2010, near the Pakistan border. So, truth be told, I’m not that keen on war movies of any type anymore. Maybe someday again.

9. David Ridenour - 1989 U of M -Flint

Professor Beaver I read your article with great interest and would also like to thank you for your service and sharing your experinces with us in Vietnam.
    After reading, another movie came to mine, possibly not a great war film but on Vietnam and that was Good Morning Vietnam. The supposely a true story about Adrian Cronauer DJ of the Armed Forces Radio. I have several friends that were in Vietnam and still talk about this guy.
    I think the best Vietnam movie is the Deer Hunter and the most realistic. I would like to watch this again especially after you have piqued my interest. In reading a lot about this war I think one of the better books ever written on this subject is the book Derelication of Duty by Maj. H.R.McMaster (Professor of History @ West Point)
    Thanks agian for your article and your service to our Country

10. John woodford

Thanks for a great pan shot on the war films, Frank. An unusual, recent small-scale look at the war is Werner Herzog’s recent “Rescue Dawn.” As to the war itself, the gross chauvinism, callousness and duplicity expressed by LBJ’s statement–from the position of an invader and occupies, say it all for me when he called Davis “the first American soldier killed in the resistance to aggression in Vietnam.” That’s the sort of twisted thinking we later heard during the misuse of our nation’s power and prestige in Grenada, Iraq and Afghanistan, not to mention Somalia, Haiti, the former Yugoslavia and other less publicized areas. “Hearts and Minds” provides the key to understanding all such events.

11. Candice Jones - 1970

Have you guys read the recent story of a woman who managed to escape Vietnam with her brother? It’s called “Escaping Vietnam: The Story of Sean and Candice Scott. I think many of you here might enjoy it. It has many favorable reviews.

12. Jim Poneta

Hi Frank,
    I fondly remember both you and Gail when returning from the 3rd RRU to teach at Ft. Devens. Best wishes to both of you.
    Jim Poneta