Let's Hear It for the Band

Homecoming 2012 is just a memory now, but the Alumni Marching Band lives on in perpetuity. Each year at Homecoming, these musical alumni reunite at the Big House to relive the camaraderie, pride, and joy that comes with marching in one of the most prestigious bands in American college history. In this clip, produced by the University of Michigan Alumni Association, band members old and young reflect on this life-changing experience.

Share your memories of the marching band, as a fan or a participant, in our comments section!

1. Brian Rozen - 1979

Although I did not personally participate in the Marching Band, I share all the pride and excitement of having made music at U of M! (MM-wind instruments, bassoon). These were the best academic years of my life! GO BLUE!

2. Sheryl White

My father was in the Michigan Marching Band in the late 1940s, under Dr. Revelli, probably 1947-48-49. He became a high school music teacher, band leader and music administrator and has loved Michigan and the Michigan Marching Band with a passion that never diminished. He is now 92, always rooting for his team. Unfortuantely can’t see this, but I will play it for him and I know he will love it and yell, “Go Blue.”
    thanks.

3. Richard Longfield - 1957 & 1961

Great feature! I was a music major freshman in 1953, enjoyed seeing several members from my years in the band in this presentation, and would have participated myself if Arizona was closer. I was also a member of the UM Symphony Band honored in 2011 for our historically recognized 15 week tour of USSR and much more for the US State Department in 1961. My brother proudly participates in the MSU Alumni Band for similar reasons – as UM Marching Band Director George Cavender used to say: “You can’t beat the Band!”

4. Kathy Gilroy - 1972

In my first fall at UM (’71), I called Cavender to audition for marching band, a two-credit-hour course. He told me auditions were over. I didn’t believe him. So, I had a male friend call. “Tuesday at 3”. I went. Cavender told me he would resign before he let a girl in the marching band. Ultimately, he let me audition, but required that I get a doctor’s permission, which I got. He auditioned me in front of the entire marching band and reporters. Jan. of ’71, he had let me in the concert band without auditioning, based on my high school participation in Iowa All-State Band. My high school marching band received I ratings when I participated. Cavender told me I wasn’t good enough for his marching band. The UM lawyer required him to invite all freshman music majors, regardless of sex, to audition in ’72, the first year girls were in the marching band.