Remembering Newt

Newt Loken was one of the most decorated men's gymnastics coaches ever.

Newt Loken was one of the most decorated men’s gymnastics coaches ever.

The first time I met Newt Loken, he was wearing a snap-brim cap and his famous perpetual smile. I’d heard his name over and over, but never met him before. About an hour later, we were old friends. Newt was like that. One minute you’d be strangers, the next he’d have your rapt attention as he told one of his countless stories from 36 years of coaching Michigan men’s gymnastics.Talking to Newt, the black-on-white names of the Wall of Fame came to life. Gil Larose and Arno Lascari, the dynamic pair who led Michigan to its first NCAA title in 1963. Wayne Miller, Dave Jacobs and George Huntzicker, the three talented trampolinists who were so competitive, Newt had to make sure none were scheduled to practice at the same time. Eddie Howard, the last-minute hero of the 1970 NCAA championship team, whose high bar set to end the meet won it for Michigan by one tenth of a point.Newt could make you see his old coach at Minnesota, Ralph Piper, stalking round the gym with the stub of a cigar clamped in his teeth (Newt often hooked a finger in his own mouth to demonstrate). Listening to him, Newt’s own 1941 NCAA high bar title and 1942 NCAA all-around title seemed to have happened last week.Newt is one of the most decorated men’s gymnastics coaches ever: two NCAA championships, 12 Big Ten titles (a feat which will likely never be matched), and two Coach of the Year awards.
Loken was a father figure to hundreds, and his smile and playfulness were legendary--as when he revealed a torn shirt for this 2009 photo with the gymnastics team. (Photo: Colt Rosensweig

Loken was a father figure to hundreds, and his smile and playfulness were legendary–as when he revealed a torn shirt for this 2009 photo with the gymnastics team. (Photo: Colt Rosensweig

But he was unlike nearly every other coach who has reached legendary status in his or her sport.Instead of barking orders like a drill sergeant, Newt resembled a kindly father. His unflagging optimism and constant encouragement—not to mention his excellent technical skills—motivated his gymnasts more than a good chewing out ever could. Newt’s gymnasts became part of his family, striving for their best out of a love for their coach and pride in their school. When Newt retired in 1983, many of his current and former gymnasts felt like they were losing their father.Newt never stopped his involvement with Michigan gymnastics, though. He didn’t miss a home meet for 61 years. He delighted in encouraging the team, both openly—he was a fixture at Monday practices, especially during the season, where he could congratulate all the Wolverines—and sneakily.For example, before the Big Ten Championships in 2009, maize and blue posters bearing the numeral 3 popped up all over the Newt Loken Gymnastics Training Center. Current head coach Kurt Golder had won two previous conference titles, and Newt was convinced (correctly) that he was about to win his third. Newt never said he put up the posters. But everyone knew anyway.Later, after a wonderful second place finish at NCAAs, Newt blew up the first few paragraphs of the AP story to poster-size and hung it on the gym doors. It was the first thing the Wolverines saw when they got back to the gym.He was always thinking of everyone else, of how to brighten someone else’s day. Like most things he tried, he just had a knack for it. His bubbling enthusiasm for life seemed everlasting.So when Newt died on June 28, it both was and was not a surprise. He was 92, and had been in poor health—but he was Newt, who had never let anything keep him down. To lose him is to lose a living connection to history—and to lose a dear friend, a man who had more friends than your average five people combined and yet still made each one feel absolutely special.There won’t be a funereal day of mourning for Newt, though we are mourning. In keeping with his life and his personality, there will be a celebration of his life on September 30. There will be tears, surely, but I have a feeling the day will end with everyone laughing and sharing their favorite Coach stories. And that’s how Newt would want it.

1. John Schultz - 1957, 1960, 1969

What a lovely tribute to a great coach and fine all-round man. Though never a gymnast, I attended many meets in Ann Arbor during my nine years as a student and always appreciated Coach Loken’s attention to “his boys.” Colt Rosensweig has provided fine insights to this true Michigan Man.

2. Francina Goldberg - 1960 and 62

Great tribute. I was a P. E. major and had the pleasure to have
    Newt for a class and always enjoyed that neat smile around Babour Gym!
    another legend gone.

3. JT (Tom) Buck - 1977

I worked out with Newt and the team in 73-74 and he could not have been kinder as I worked to become competitive on the still rings. He encouraged me, made me feel part of it all, even though I never achieved the competitive level needed. Newt was very special, he was fun and he got the best from everyone.

4. Marsha Katz - 1975, 82

I started at UM in 1963, left in ’65 due to pregnancy and marriage and returned in 1973 as a single mom to finish my undergraduate degree. I took gymnastics as my PE class, and on days when my two sons were out of school due to teacher prep, etc., I brought them to campus with me. Newt would sit them on his lap and tell them stories while I practiced my classwork, and after class he taught them to jump and flip on the trampoline. He was one of the incredible teachers on campus whose flexibility allowed me to complete my education with high marks and become a contributing citizen. I will never forget his warmth, spark, and energy. His passing truly leaves a hole in the universe.

5. Lee Sandler - 1972

Coach Loken brought me to U of M as a trampolinist in 1968. I’m saddened to learn of his passing, but grateful to have had his incredible influence that helped shape me into an adult.

6. Joe Tomlinson - 1965

I didn\’t have any direct involvement with Coach Loken during my 4 years at Michigan, but I still remember the positive spirit and joy he brought to his work, and how that spirit spread across the Michigan campus. The world needs more poeple like him.

7. Fran Bulloff - 1970

Newt Loken accompanied our first Camp Michigania Switzerland trip in 1973 and was a delight. He was not only a charming man, but a consummate teacher. He is missed.

8. Carolyn Osborn Bowers - 1961

Not many people knew that Newt allowed a female gymnast to train with his team from 1956 – 1960. He shared his expertise and a team of \”big brothers\” with me at the IM Building back in the days when women were not allowed in that building except on Fridays accompanied with a date. Part of his reasoning included a counterpart woman, Ernistine Russell, who trained at arch rival Michigan State with George Szypula. Newt helped my father make extensions for an old set of Medart parallel bars converting them to women\’s uneven bars. I built and brought a balance beam, and they shared the vault and floor. As far as Newt was concerned, sport was co-ed. His generosity allowed me to be a U of M grad rather than MSU and spend many years both as a gymnastics coach and judge. There will always be a smile in my heart for Newt and those years.
    Thank you for a wonderful story about Newt.

9. David Palmer - 1964, 1966

As a freshman, I had to choose a gym class and signed up for “Rebound Tumbling” without knowing who the instructor, Dr. Newt Loken. How, I wondered, does one get a PhD in physical education (if my memory serves me correctly). Once the class started, I understood. Dr. Loken had the uncanny ability to teach even someone as unathletic as I how to make my body do things it did not know how to do. He was a genius as well as a wonderfully kind and patient teacher. I eventually well understood how he had helped his athletes achieve so much.

10. Richard Stone - 1967

I was sad to hear of this, because I still always remember my coach at Michigan with great fondness. Just as the article said, he was a coach who didn’t bark orders, instead he made you want to do your best. He believed in having fun and working hard.

11. Matt Davidson - 1980 LSA

Newt was one of the most colorful of Michigan’s faculty and a goodwill ambassador for the university. Love to Newton-Hans and the rest of the family. -Kai- Spanky

12. Steven Acker - 1975

I don’t have a gymnastic story but rather a dance story. Newt taught ballroom dancing at old Waterman gym in ( I think ) 1972. He was funny and friendly and although at the time I had no idea who he was…I liked him. Immediately.
    And I can still dance the moves he taught me.

13. Richard Landman - 1987

Newt recruited me to the Men’s gymnastics team. After my first year, I was so burnt out on the sport. Newt pulled me aside and said “you gotta take that crank on your back and just twist a little more! Plus if you retire, you have to take me with you!!” He was a very sweet inspiration man. God bless him

14. Dave Thoits - 1971

I had the good fortune of working with Newt when Michigan hosted the NCAA Championships in 1971. What a joy that was! He truly was an exceptional man. He (and Bo) demonstrated living life with passion and how important that is. Each man is a hero of mine and always will be; a hero and an inspiration.